Search This Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve, and One Quick Recipe

**We've moved!!**


Please visit our new site, ModernAlternativeMama.com.


Comments on this post have been locked and updates are no longer being made to this page. Please click here to view this article on the new site.


Seeing as it's Christmas Eve, and I don't have all my presents wrapped (oops!), I only have a quick recipe for you today. It's a great, fast dinner for nights (like tonight), when you're too busy to do much cooking but you want something yummy and Real Food.

Chicken and Potatoes
4 medium potatoes, chopped
2 medium chicken breasts, chopped
1/3 c. coconut oil
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. onion powder, or fresh minced onion
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. sage

Directions:
Put all ingredients in a large skillet. Stir and cook until chicken and potatoes and browned. Serves 2 - 3. (Add a quick salad and some cheese on top if you do dairy and you've got a whole meal!)

Enjoy tonight. Many of you will be heading to church, as we will. It's so important to celebrate Jesus' birth, and to teach our children about it. What an amazing story, the virgin birth of someone who is crucial to our salvation!

Starting in the new year, I'll be doing a series on living a Godly life that will last at least through February, but possibly longer. It will be up on Fridays, for those who are interested.

Merry Christmas, and enjoy your holidays and families!

1 comment:

  1. This kind of belongs down on Tuesday's post, but since this one mentions potatoes...after reading the thing about the "7 Foods Experts Wouldn't Eat" Nathan and I decided to do oragnic potatoes.

    I was somewhat skeptical of whether we could even find them around here (we were doing mashed potatoes for a potluck Christmas dinner with friends) but find them we did. They weren't even any more expensive (both organic and non-organic cost $1 a pound within their bags) and the difference was phenomenal.

    When we were peeling them (and while they were cooking) we were blown away - they actually smelled like potatoes! That may seem like a silly thing to some people, but I get excited when food smells like it ought to because when I was a kid, at least half of our produce, if not more, was home-grown (seasonally, obviously - we didn't can veggies or anything like that but the summer months were full of zucchini bread and casserole and homemade spaghetti sauce).

    Then I realized while I was cutting them - these were the smoothest, softest, easiest potatoes I've ever cut. I wasn't even using our "potato cutting knife" that's tall enough (it's a Santoku blade) to be able to hit the top of it to work it through potatoes like I usually have to. I was just using an 8 inch paring knife and it went through those potatoes with no extra effort.

    The potatoes tasted amazing and Nathan and I both agree - the difference is enough for us to buy organic potatoes even if they aren't similarly priced because of how amazing potatoes are. You don't usually describe potatoes as amazing, but boy, were these ones SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.