**We've moved!!**
Please visit our new site, ModernAlternativeMama.com.
Comments on this post have been locked and updates are no longer being made to this page. Please click here to view this article on the new site.
I've written posts in the past about how to save money, and mentioned bulk and coop buys. Now I'm going to get specific about exactly what and how I buy this way.
Most people are familiar with buying in bulk: clubs like Sam's (we're members), Costco and others are popular these days. It's possible to get a large amount of food or other products for a low price. We can get a 20-lb. bag of Iams cat food for only $24, or a month (or two)'s supply of toilet paper for $15. These are a couple of the items that we continue to buy in bulk, even as we switch to more and more organic foods. Clubs like these are great for paper goods or large items, like beds, furniture, even jewelry (basically any non-food item). As more and more people begin to demand organics, these clubs will begin to supply it, and will become good sources of food, too (or...if you're not all organic, they are currently a good supply of bananas, flour, coffee, etc.).
Whole Foods and other health food stores, though, also have bulk deals. Most offer 10% off if you buy a whole case of something. This is a great way to save on your favorite items. Some also offer 25-lb. sacks of rice, grains, beans, etc. We haven't taken advantage of this yet, but for families who have a place to store this, it's a great way to save. Someday we hope to have a very large pantry (and of course, a very large family to feed too!) and we'll buy our rice, etc. in large sacks like these.
Amazon has some pretty good deals, too, including their "subscribe and save" program. This program offers cases of products shipped to you every 1, 2, 3, or 6 months automatically. You can cancel any particular shipment without canceling the program, or request a shipment sooner if you're running out. You receive 15% off the retail price plus free shipping. I don't get anything for mentioning this, I just really love using this! I got my organic pregnancy tea from Traditional Medicinals this way when I was pregnant with Daniel.
Bulk buying really is fairly obvious as long as you know where to look. Coop buying, on the other hand, is new to a lot of people. There are different kinds of coops out there.
There are farming coops, like this one at the Flying J Farm (where we buy our grass-fed beef). The idea is that for a seasonal price and time spent working on the farm, each individual or family will take home a certain amount of produce each week. Typically it's a mixed bag of whatever's been harvested that week. There are health food stores that work like this, too. Every person takes turns working at the store and gets a share in what's brought to the store. This is a great way to obtain fresh, seasonal, often organic produce. We haven't participated in one yet, usually because we're busy or I'm pregnant, but we may in the future (at least until we can buy our farm!).
Another type is the online coop, which I use quite a lot. These are technically pre-buy groups, where the leader plans to buy an item or group of items in a very large quantity, and members of that group order so that as a whole, minimums can be met. This allows the group to order their items at wholesale prices. Most of the leaders run small businesses, so doing this offsets their ordering costs some, as well. They typically charge a small fee for doing this, because the leaders have to find the sources, keep up with group orders, put in the large orders and follow up if something's delayed, separate and package and ship the product (and in some cases, like fabric, cut). The fees, though, are minimal compared to the amount of work they do.
This type of coop is how I get a lot of my great stuff, including:
*Essential oils
*Shea butter/cocoa butter
*Burt's Bees products
*PUL fabric for diapers (Polyurethane laminate)
*Other fabrics (birdseye cotton, bamboo velour)
*Klean Kanteens
*Soapnuts
I'm sure I've bought more than that but that's what comes to mind right now. Typically prices are 40% off retail this way, though sometimes they are 50% or more. I recently got a canister of RLR laundry treatment for $5.75, when they sell for $20 or more on ebay. I could not afford to buy all the nice things that I do if I couldn't get them at such great prices.
Here are my two favorite coops (you have to apply to join):
Comfy Creations
Lovin Bundles
There are many others, but these have great coop leaders and typically have the items that I want to purchase. They also take suggestions, so if I find something great that I'd like to have, I can mention it on the group and if enough other people want it, they'll open a coop for it! That is how I got my shea butter. :)
Have you ever considered coop or bulk buying for saving money? Are you interested in these groups? Let me know if you join!
If you like these posts, subscribe and see them everyday!
Friday, December 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

We bought rice at Sam's Club a while back...one of the 20 lb bags. It's been awesome - we use it at least once or twice every two weeks, and we usually make several days' worth of rice ahead. We're meal planners, though, so we'll plan to have a few different home-made Chinese recipes in a row and just make all the rice at once to save time. We've enjoyed it a lot.
ReplyDeleteWe also do toilet paper there, and batteries are usually one of our purchases as well. The cleaning supplies are good too - Swiffer pads, bleach tabs for toilets, shower cleaner, and other things like that get used here so we buy them in bulk and store in our various cabinets.
We used to do their frozen waffles, but the closest Sam's is 45 minutes away and it was a hassle to manage bringing frozen waffles back. Non-perishables (canned fruits/veggies, spaghetti sauce, etc.) are great there though!
I've never done a co-op, although I have considered it on occasion.